— Posted in News
Door From London’s Deadly Grenfell Tower Fails Fire Safety Test
Police say a door from a London high-rise that went up in flames, killing 71 people, has failed an expert fire safety test.
The Metropolitan Police force said Thursday that an undamaged door from Grenfell Tower withstood flames for only 15 minutes — not the 30 minutes it was supposed to.
Fire spread rapidly from a faulty refrigerator and engulfed the 24-story residential building in June. A police investigation and a public inquiry are working to find out how a small fire was able to spread so quickly, becoming Britain’s deadliest blaze in decades.
Flammable exterior cladding installed on the tower’s facade has been blamed. Officials later found that hundreds more buildings could be at risk because they have similar cladding.
- UK Panel Review of Grenfell Tower Tragedy Calls for ‘Cultural Change’ Around Safety
- Same Builders Win Deals to Replace Unsafe Grenfell Tower Type Cladding
- Deadly London Tower Fire Sparks Development in U.S. of Safety Evaluation Tool
- U.S. Building Owners Reviewing Structural Materials After London Grenfell Tower Blaze
- Panel-Maker Arconic Sued in U.S. Over Losses Linked to London Tower Fire
- London Blaze-Tower Built with Cladding Used Across England
- Arconic Stops Selling Cladding for High-Rises After Grenfell Tower Tragedy
- Grenfell Tower Fire Puts Cloud over Energy Efficiency Industry’s Building Materials
- ABI Warned About Risks of Modern Building Materials Before Grenfell Tower Fire
- Whirlpool Fridge Started London’s Grenfell Tower Fire that Killed at Least 79
- Tragic London Fire Raises Questions About ‘Stay Put’ High-Rise Safety Rule
Copyright 2018 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.